Monday, December 11, 2006

Mending Fences

My fence blew down last weekend, well two panels and one fencepost did. Obviously I did what any sensible person would do and ignored it until the other half suggested 'action this day'. I examined the damage, kicked it a bit and decided to visit Wickes Builder's Merchants (because they're nearest).

Happily, they had the panels and the post and the chap sold me a bag of 'Postcrete' which is concrete that sets in 10 minutes, which must be useful for the mafia if they still use non-flotation aids these days. He didn't have any stuff to melt the old concrete around the post stump, which looks like it weighs 2 tons, but did suggest a sledgehammer which was also in stock at a price!

The dilemma was, how to get the panels home, but my new mate had an answer for that as well; he could deliver it for a small consideration (£15 actually). Great! problem solved. Goods were duly delivered and I am now the proud owner of a selection of building materials that will be enthusiastically brought into play as soon as 'er indoors' remembers I haven't finished the job yet.

You will have realised by now that my new mate at Wickes wasn't a 19 year old monosyllabic individual (this describes my eldest son, except when he's with his mates, when he transforms into life & soul etc.) , but a mature type anxious to satisfy the customer need. What impressed me was his enthusiastic up-selling of additional product, equipment and delivery. Although my house is about 1.5 miles from Wickes, the delivery seemed good value as 6x6 feet fence panels will fit in very few cars. For me then, the price was right!

To learn how to make your prices irresistible Click Here!

No comments: